Instagram

Friday, February 14, 2014

We're Expecting! Meet Baby X!

Whoaa... Finally, after being married for 2 years++ (tgt for 6 years almost 7), Hubby and I are happy to announce that..............

We're Expecting!!! :D :D :D 
Baby X Due 18th August 2014




I wanted to wait till after I was 3 months pregnant to officially announce, not because of 'pantang' and that saying earlier will jinx it but because the risk of miscarriage during the 1st 3 months is higher and I didn't want to explain to many people over and over again on the tragic loss if anything bad were to happen. So I'm 3 months+ now and am ready to share the joy with everyone! 

So, How Did I Find Out? 

6th Dec 2013

I was having really bad stiff neck and muscle spasms that affected my entire neck, causing me to not be able to move my neck at all and was in extreme pain. I couldn't go about my daily chores properly and had to rely on hubby to take care of me. Normal stiff necks would recover in a few days but mine did not! It went on for another few days and finally on the 10th of Dec, I went to the A&E to seek medical help.

10th Dec 2013

It was the usual routine at the A&E. I registered, got some pain relief medication and was wheeled on the bed to the observation room and meanwhile, I was scheduled to get an X-ray done. For females, there's a routine urine test check to make sure you're not pregnant before getting X-rayed as the radiation would harm your baby.

Anyway, my sister Tabby was with me, hubby went home after awhile to attend to the furkids while Tabby accompanied me in the hospital. I started getting dizzy from the medication they had injected earlier and was a lil' unconscious . At this point of time, no one was with me in the observation room as Tabby & Hubby were outside 'changing shifts' and she had not made her way in. Out of nowhere a couple of nurses came and wheeled me to the X-Ray room, without doing the urine test! I am always cautious in case I am pregnant (and I was 2 days late for my period that day) and although dizzy, I told the nurses that the urine test was not done yet when they were trying to make me read out my IC number to confirm my identity.

Luckily I reminded them and they checked the sheet, apologized and wheeled me back to the observation room. I don't know why but I let out a breath of relieve after being wheeled out. Soon after, Tabby arrived and I slowly started feeling better and we talked and joked and laughed. When it was time, I went to pee and handed the urine sample over to the nurse, thinking that it's just to check to be sure, but I was so sure  that it would not come up positive!

I asked Tabby, "What if it came back positive?!" And we were like, "It would be so surprising, considering I did not feel pregnant at all and had no prior symptoms that hinted me to the possibility of being pregnant (except for being 2 days late but I had been late for 2 weeks before and was not pregnant so that wasn't a sure sign yet).

The nurse went away for quite a long time before coming back to me and asked,

Nurse: "When was your last menses?"
Me: "Last month, on the 8th."

That's all she asked, with no reply or anything and just went off. I was puzzled and told Tabby, "She just came to ask for my last menses and went away, maybe something's up?!" There was nothing we could do except wait for her to come back. The next time she walked back towards us, it was surprising and happy news!

Nurse: "Your test seems to be positive, the doctor will be with you shortly to advice you."
Me: "Oh Okay, thanks... *Turns around to Tabby with amazed expression and somewhat disbelief*

Doctor (A very friendly and energetic filipino female dr) came over after a while and said:

"Well I've got good news and bad news for you. Good news is that you're pregnant, congratulations. Two positive tests came up. Bad news is we can't give you strong painkillers for the pain and also you'll need to visit your gynae as soon as possible to confirm the pregnancy."

I was happy, thrilled, and surprised at this point. I'm pregnant!!! I was like saying okay to everything I couldn't wait to convey the news to hubby, who was sleeping at home at the time, poor hubby tired from work and taking care of me. :/

I was then ushered to be discharged and I called hubby to let him know he can come and pick us up. I had whatsapp him the photo of the two positive tests. Hubby's reaction wasn't too overwhelmed or anything as he just woke up and was still in blur mode. Lol. In fact, even after he picked us up, he was still in the blur mode and processing the news.  Anyway he started getting excited after seeing our baby during the ultrasound scans, seeing baby X move and etc.

So, that's how I found out about the pregnancy. I was and am really happy about baby x and feel blessed to be having him/her! I was 4 weeks pregnant!

(BTW, the stiff neck problem took 1 WHOLE MONTH to heal! T.T One of the toughest days of my life and I really hope I won't get it again!)

The pregnancy was not planned but hubby and I were on the let nature take its course kind of direction and no planning was involved nor purposely preventing. To us, it was if it happens, it happens and we'll be ready and accept it.

Finding out was one happy and delightful matter, but what was to hit me next was something I wasn't ready for.

The Infamous Morning Sickness.. And Many Other Symptoms 

It wasn't long before I got to experience the infamous morning sickness and many other symptoms that women have to go through during pregnancy. If you're not one of the lucky ones who breeze through pregnancy then these symptoms are definitely there to remind you, like 24/7! Haha. I certainly was not one of the lucky ones.

At 6 weeks pregnant, the morning sickness and etc started to hit me and boy I was not prepared for that! Here's a list of the symptoms I had and still have some till date and some which will continue to linger throughout pregnancy.

- Dizziness
- Nausea
- Vomiting (I have vomited a few times in the past 2 months and it was not pleasant, much worse than the throwing up after getting drunk)
- Fall sick easily (As your immune system is low during pregnancy)
- Stuffed nose
- Diarrhea
- Constipation (This is no fun. :/ I had constipation, then diarrhea, then constipation again.)
- Smell and Food Aversion
- Fatigue
- Headaches
- Tender breasts/ Increase in boob size (This, I like. LOL) 

For the past 2 months, I was basically bed bound almost 24/7. It was like I was dizzy and nauseous being on a floating boat all day and I had to lie down and rest and wait for it to be over. I also had to consume food very frequently as once the acid comes up, vomiting would be inevitable. But having food rejections made meals a headache as there were many smells I couldn't stand and would repulse just by the thought of food. But despite all that, I had to eat something to keep food and fluid down.

Many times the nausea and acid reflux would go away after I ate but sometimes, everything just came back up and out into the toilet bowl and whatever I ate was somehow wasted and I was back to square one.

Amazing Hubby, Thank You~ 

So the past 2 months had been quite a ride and poor hubby had to become a "maid" as I was feeling so bad I couldn't do anything, I couldn't help with the house chores. With this, I really wanna point out and thank my hubby, that he was just amazing. He did everything by himself for 2 months! All the clothes washing, pee tray washing, bathing of our furkids, serving food all the way to the bed for me, cook for me, clean the house, everything! At times I felt bad for not being able to help but at the same time was really glad that hubby was being so wonderful and did not complain at all. I love you, thank you hubby.  

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

After 2 months of being sick I was almost giving up. But every time at the thought of giving up, I was like, "What give up?! There's no way to run! You just have to get through it!" 

For many women, the morning sickness subsides after the crucial 1st trimester and you'll start to feel better. So as I was reaching the 12 weeks mark, I was really looking forward to feeling more human again. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to feel normal without getting sick or dizzy. I wanted to be able to join in the CS matches and just have fun as just sitting in front of the computer wasn't easy for me and it also affected my work more or less.

At 11 weeks+ onwards, I finally started to slowly feel better. I have not vomited since but the acid reflux and need to eat frequently lingered and many other symptoms. But I am now able to function more normally and can definitely play CS again! Haha.

What's Next And What To Expect? 

Baby X is definitely clever to make his presence known after we confirmed the purchase of our own 4rm unit! The timing is right! We'll be settling down in our new home in May and baby is due in August!

We're making plans and slowly getting ready for a new addition to our family and meanwhile I've been diligently researching and reading everything about pregnancy. I've heard so many myths and old wives tale hanging around and I certainly do not blindly follow them all. I follow Science.

I guess we can have a rough expectation of what's gonna happen during and after the baby is born but the real challenges of raising a child will not be known to hubby and I until we actually go through it and there are definitely many many uncertainties ahead.

Meanwhile, we will be doing things our way and I am very big on doing research and reading on my own, and I have my trusted gynae (this gynae, Dr Kee, is very special as he is the doctor who delivered me and my siblings! Now it's my turn for him to deliver my baby! :D ) and mum to seek advice from. If we need to get opinions on anything, we would ask and I certainly hope people will not be pouring in, trying to teach us and tell us what to do with our pregnancy, our body, our child.

I will do it my own way, please. Thank you.

Baby X's Development  (PHOTOS) 

Here is Baby X's development so far!

5 Weeks~ 

6 Weeks~

8 Weeks~

10 Weeks~

12 Weeks! 

Oh! And a Happy Valentines' Day to you! ^.^

Till next time,
Love Vall~


No comments: